radiators on but heating is off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i don't know much about heating!

our radiators seem to come on and off when ever they want, as its hot outside i have had the heating off for a few days now but some radiators are still warm. I've tried turning them off and now others are warm, a lot of air seems to get in to two upstairs which are nowswitched off.
Ive got a baxi bolier which seems to work fine, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Is there any time of the day when you don't have the hot water being heated?

If so, does the heating operate during that period?

Do you have any motorised valves in the airing cupboard?

Softus said:
Is there any time of the day when you don't have the hot water being heated?

If so, does the heating operate during that period?

Do you have any motorised valves in the airing cupboard?

i've been leaving my hot water on constant, the rads seem to come on early evening generally,

I don't what motorised valves are!?

prawnstar said:
i've been leaving my hot water on constant, the rads seem to come on early evening generally
OK. And when do you expect them to come on, if at all?

I don't what motorised valves are!?
Here's a Honeywell one; other makes are similar:

V4043.jpg

Sponsored Links
We often find that in the summer when the heating is off, the radiator in the bathroom warms up when the hot water is on!!!

Not really a problem as its often nice to have that bit of extra heat in the bathroom even if it is summer.

prawnstar said:
i don't know much about heating!

our radiators seem to come on and off when ever they want, as its hot outside i have had the heating off for a few days now but some radiators are still warm. I've tried turning them off and now others are warm, a lot of air seems to get in to two upstairs which are nowswitched off.
Ive got a baxi bolier which seems to work fine, any ideas?

Sticking three port valve usually found in area of hot water cylinder area if you have tanks in loft, if you have a combi could be diverter valve/flow switch, depends on what you have? or reverse circulation? how long`s it been going on? always?

mazzab said:
We often find that in the summer when the heating is off, the radiator in the bathroom warms up when the hot water is on!
This is probably not a fault - many systems are plumbed so that the bathroom rad (or towel warmer) is connected to the circuit that heats the hot water.

Do you have any other rads that get warm when you expect them not to?

prawnstar said:

Big clue there Softus :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fair play, but take a look at the rest of his information, which is partly conflicting, and take into the account that he seems unable to answer direct most direct questions, and hopefully you'll understand why I wanted to be utterly clear on this point.

Softus said:
mazzab said:
We often find that in the summer when the heating is off, the radiator in the bathroom warms up when the hot water is on!
This is probably not a fault - many systems are plumbed so that the bathroom rad (or towel warmer) is connected to the circuit that heats the hot water.

No - just the one in the bathroom..... well, possibly the one on the landing now and again (its the one closest to the bathroom one).

mazzab said:
Softus said:
No - just the one in the bathroom..... well, possibly the one on the landing now and again (its the one closest to the bathroom one).
I had a funny feeling that this was the case. It's possible that the landing rad has been teed off the pipework going to the bathroom - if so then everything makes sense (to me).

Are you happy with the explanation I gave, or do you need more information?

BTW, if the bathroom gets too warm in the summer, you can throttle it down or just turn it off.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Fantastic. Maybe you can answer the original poster`s question then? Prawnstar? ;)
I don't know what this means, but I suspect it's just your prelude to having a pop, so I'm going to ignore it.

Maybe you have something (other than incorrect assumptions) to offer the OP, in which case please go ahead.

What softus is saying is correct. Some systems (gravity hot water fed cylinder's in particular) have a heat sink, which is basically a radiator tee'd off the cylinder coil to dissipate the heat when the cylinder stat clicks off. The bathroom radiator being on when your hot water is on is more than likely a heat sink. On the other hand if your saying the others are now coming on aswell ( ie a differant problem) then the motorised valve which is pictured above will have jammed in the hot water and heating position, hence when your hot water cylinder wants heat, it will naturally flow around the heating circuit uncontrollably.

sambotc said:
What softus is saying is correct. Some systems

(gravity hot water fed cylinder's in particular)

Cylinders are not Hot water fed ,Gravity or otherwise.

have a heat sink, which is basically a radiator tee'd off the cylinder coil to dissipate the heat when the cylinder stat clicks off.

If a cylinder has a coil then the hot water is indirectly heated. Tee`ing off a radiator from the coil won`t help the Hot water in the cylinder dissipate, maybe you should go back & look at your `gravity cylinders theory scenario` again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back