radiators on but heating is off?

sambotc - I have one of these if you'd like to borrow it. :D

0219.jpg

Sponsored Links
maybe you should hold back the comments until you see an installation with them fitted.
Many coal fired back boilers run gravity fed cylinder coils with heatsink's which over the years have been converted to gas fired back boilers. This is because you can't switch a coal fire off in the same way you can a gas flame, so need to be able to lose the heat in other ways.
Many customers like to have hot towels all year round without having to have the heating on so ask for heat sinks to be left in. Trust me i've done it on many occasions.

Trying to be the smart man and prove other installers wrong on every comment doesn't make you clever. I only joined the forum today and have already seen you disagree with everyone????

Yes, I know all about solid fuel back boilers,Elson tanks, 28mm primary circs , before the war & blah, blah, I simply stated that as far as I am aware tying in a rad from a cylinder coil won`t dissipate the heat from the cylinder,Hot water wise. I don`t disagree with everyone, only those who are wrong. (couldn`t ya punch me) :LOL:

Well maybe if you go back and read the OP question reffering to his bathroom radiator getting hot when his hotwater is on but heating off, you will understand why others have commented on hot water heat sinks and the fact that this may not actually be a problem but fitted to the system on purpose.

Sam

And no i wouldn't punch you, i'd whack you over the head with a length of 28 i've just cut out from my back boiler :p

Sponsored Links
Leave it sambotc, leeeeeve it - he ain't wuuurf it maaayte.

unless prawnstar can give a reasonable amount of detail about his boiler & system it s all wasted speculation going no where.

sambotc said:
Well maybe if you go back and read the OP question reffering to his bathroom radiator getting hot when his hotwater is on but heating off, you will understand

STOP!! HE ISN`T SAYING THAT! Read what he is saying ,get down off your high horse & realise that his bathroom rad has not been tied into his Hot water circuit. Then have a word with yourself & think about it. ;)

yes fair comment but i was going on the fact he reffered to a baxi boiler and that he left his hot water on constant, so obviously not a combi..

More info please prawnstar!

Jeeezz ok so it wasn't the original posters question i was reffering too, i messed up and apologise. there was somebody elsee who commented further down on that which i mistook for being the OP.. so sorry.. but telling me to get off my high horse!!?!!? bit rich

Softus said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
...have a word with yourself & think about it. ;)
We're all wrong sometimes. ;)

You love bringing that up don`t you Softus :LOL: If I could be bothered I would highlight your own misdemeanours ;) Fortunately for you I don`t have the time nor inclination :cool:

prawnstar said:
Softus said:
Is there any time of the day when you don't have the hot water being heated?

If so, does the heating operate during that period?

Do you have any motorised valves in the airing cupboard?

i've been leaving my hot water on constant, the rads seem to come on early evening generally,

I don't what motorised valves are!?

apart from the arguements ;) thanks for the info!!!

Here are the facts I think you are asking for:

My heating is off permanently, my hot water is on constant.

the radiators upstairs in landing bathroom and one bedroom all same side of the house have been on generally in the early evening maybe other times too.
i turned these rads off , then the downstairs one started it too, i've turned these off, and now the only one that comes on is in the conservatory, whose pipes seem to come down from upstairs.

will the motorised valves be obvious looking in the aering cupboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back