Radiators only getting luke warm

TThe heating was ok last year although it may not have been as efficient as we had a really bad/cold winter and I think I put the lack of heat output down to that! But it wasn't as poor as it is now.
How long have you been in the house?

Sponsored Links
I've been in the house for around 14 years now
OK. I was just checking that you were able to compare the performance last winter with earlier years.

As you will realize, last winter was very cold, with temperatures dropping to well below the -1C used when heating systems are designed. This would account for the poor performance last winter. However it does not account for your current problem.

You first raised the problem in August, when the weather was warm. Did you turn the boiler thermostat to Max and the room thermostat to a high temperature, e.g 30C, to make sure the water had time to heat up before the thermostats worked? If you didn't the thermostats could easily have cut in early.

Have you balanced the system? It's essential.

I've been in the house for around 14 years now
OK. I was just checking that you were able to compare the performance last winter with earlier years.

As you will realize, last winter was very cold, with temperatures dropping to well below the -1C used when heating systems are designed. This would account for the poor performance last winter. However it does not account for your current problem.

You first raised the problem in August, when the weather was warm. Did you turn the boiler thermostat to Max and the room thermostat to a high temperature, e.g 30C, to make sure the water had time to heat up before the thermostats worked? If you didn't the thermostats could easily have cut in early.

Have you balanced the system? It's essential.

Thx for the reply, In a word no I havent. I think I will give it a go this weekend. Is there an easy way of going about it?

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone,
I am still suffering with the same problem. But having studied what is happening I thought I would re post to see if anyone has any more ideas. When the boiler switches on and the flame fires up the pump starts running, after approximatley 30 seconds if you listen to the boiler it sounds like water is starting to boil inside the combi! Once you hear this the boiler cuts out. The feed pipe to the radiators is red hot, too hot to touch. Once the boiler cuts out the feed pipe to the rads cools down very quickly. The boiler then fires up again after a few minutes and goes through the same process. The return pipe to the boiler remains cold. I have drained down the system and the water that came out was clean so I refilled and added sentinel sludge remover, left this in for a couple of week but no improvement was noticed. I have had BG out to look at the boiler and they have said it needs a power flush ( looking round I think they tell every one this ) I'm at a bit of a loss with which way to go! Any ideas
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back