Radiators: SORTED but now needs a 'power flush' ??

Turn off hot water and all downstairs rads as well except one that doesn't work. Hate to say this, but shut the bypass (if you have one) in the airing cupboard just after the pump.

Pump should not be getting 'red hot' to touch though.

If above doesn't work I would personally replace the pump.

Sort of in the process now of turning the downstairs rads on one at a time and the all seem to work .... just not when all on together.

Sponsored Links
Well - turns out it was the pump.

British Gas bloke came round today (turned up at 15:00 for an 8-12 slot !!!) to do what was meant to be a regular service (under the Home Care plan) and an "emergency breakdown" (after the other half had pleaded with BG last week for mercy having no heat and 2 children under 4 in the house).

He changed the pump for a new one and everything now works fine (though the new pump is also very hot to the touch).

He pointed out the "sludge" at both ends of the old pipe and said it would need a "power flush" at some point which would cost £600-700 !!!! He asked if I wanted to book that in now - you can imagine my reaction :)

My gut instinct was that a "power flush" shouldn't cost anywhere near £700, right ??

Average cost for up to 7-8 rads would be £400 + VAT.

BG give a lifetime warranty on theirs I believe.

we charge about 50 Plus vat per rad so a 8 rad system would cost as gas says 400 plus vat.

are you sure they arent doing summink else for the 700 notes?

WTF am I doing its christmas eve I have worked allday AND I have calls tomorrow, jaysus I really have to get a life

:)

Sponsored Links
Having done some sub contracting for british gas I know that the power flush that they do includes a magnaclean and various chemicals to clean and maintain the installation. This adds a cost of an extra £150 and a return call after a week. My price is a standard £450 (unlimited amount of radiators) and would include the magnaclean system

And not have to pay greedy shareholders thier share of the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back