Radiators turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - newbie to the forum

Last year we had new radiators throughout the house. We also had a new boiler.

This year I have noticed that 2 of the radiators upstairs go cold - but only after the heating has been on for about 2 hours. Before this time they belt out heat. The temperature valves on them are set at max.

The radiators are next to each other but in separate rooms if that makes sense.

All other rads are fine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Will
:)

Sponsored Links
The installer probably didn't bother to balance the system. (Some installers believe, wrongly, that you do not need to balance a system with thermostatic radiator valves.)

There are two valves on each rad: the thermostatic valve and the lockshield valve. Remove the cover from the LS valve. Then, using a suitable tool, turn the valve spindle clockwise (looking down) and count how many turns you have to go before the spindle reaches a stop. Write down how many turns (e.g 1¼, 2½), then reset the valve to the original position. Do this for all rads.

If it's more than one and a half turns, or the valve is fully open, the system has not been balanced.

PS Why have the valves on max? This is equivalent to a room temperature of 27-30C. Bedrooms should be on about 3.

Thanks for your answer - I will do as you suggest. I thought it might be a balancing issue but I believed, maybe incorrectly, that the affected radiators would take ages to heat up if that was the case.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back