Radiators wont fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to put some cleaning solution in my radiators and the boiler had been banging and knocking on and off for some time now, i have bled all the water out of the system and have refilled the header tank, but now cannot get water back into the radiators, when i open the bleed valves there is nothing, no hissing or air movement and no water in any of the radiators. I have a grundfos pump installed, do i have to run the boiler to get the pump to allow water through? I really know nothing about this kind of thing but thought it would be simple enough to do. Help!!

Oh I forgot to say there was difficulty in emptying the header tank and it was syphoned out but later the "missing" water did bleed out of the radiators, or so we thought.

Sponsored Links
Blocked cold feed pipe.From the header tank follow the 15mm outlet pipe to where it connects to the system and there will be your blockage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, is really, really appreciated. How would I know where the 15mm outlet pipe connects to the system? How do I know if my pump is broken? Am so stupid I know... :cry:

45yearsagasman: From the header tank follow the 15mm outlet pipe to where it connects to the system

Already got the answer! This section will need cutting out and replacing. Get some water in the system before trying the pump. (Otherwise you'll be condemning the boiler. Or worse, yourself.)

You could always try FAQ 12. It may get you out of trouble.
pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back