Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Apollo Fanfare boiler. My problem is some of my radiators are not heating fully or at all. 3 out of 4 upstairs are coming on fine but the 4th is only half heating - cool at bottom, warm at top. Downstairs, 2 aren't heating at all and the others are cold at the bottom and hot at the top. I've tried bleeding all the radiators as an air-lock seemed to be the problem but almost immediately all that's coming out is water not air. The hot water seems to be working fine. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Is this a longstanding or recent problem? If the former then likely your rads are beginning to fill up with sludge.

M

I agree sludge has taken the place of the water. If the inlet or outlet is blocked the radiators will stay cold, but if they are not blocked and sludge is resting in the bottom few inches of the rad then only the top will get hot. if there is partial restriction then a warm radiator will result.
You can remove the radiators and clean them but you must also consider there may be sludge in the circulating pipes.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not too sure how long it's been a problem as we only moved in last week. However, previous occupant assures us everything was fine over the winter(well, he would. wouldn't he?) If it is sludge, is it a case of draining the system and putting some cleaner through or is there much more to do?

Sponsored Links
You can try draining down and adding Fernox Heavy Duty Cleaner when you refill. Give a week running on max temp with rads on full. This may be difficult in hot weather but no pain no gain. Drain down again and refill.

If that doesn't work then you will need more aggressive cleanser or powerflush. You may want to cut your losses now and replace the dodgy radiators. You would also benefit from this with nice new shiny radiators which will emit a lot more heat. When you replace the radiators you should use a gallon of Fernox MB1 to prevent further corrosion.

M

.......use a gallon of Fernox MB1..........

Alternatively, other makes may need much less volume. Not sure about Sentinel, but certainly Kamco's Systemsafe (for example) needs 1 litre for systems less than 100 litres capacity.

Overdosing with MB1 is not a problem. In fact it should be encouraged. A gallon of MB1 is the same as 4 packets of ciggies so I don't see a need to be cheap and use other brands.

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back