Raditor setting on Vailant Eco Plus Bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am having issues trying to work out how my heating and water systems all works so that I can use it best.

Just moved into a property which has a new system installed. valiant eco tec plus boiler and a Unistor cylinder in the garage. There is a drayton timer in the garage and a honeywell therm stat in the hallway. Most of the rads also have TRV's. I have read all the sites in trying to work this out, and I am not a diyer, and there are no manuals, or any that help.

Hot water is fine, the cylinder has this set at approx 60c and on off is via timer switch
q1 - what does the water temp setting on the boiler do then? currently set to approx 9 o clock, builder said leave it like this - (asked him in case he knew!) shld I turn this all the way down?

Heating - on off via timer, I have turned trv's in rooms that i do not use to the frost position, others are about 3, or 4/5 if cold. I understand that the hall way therm will decide how hot the air is in the hall way and once it reaches that setting, eg 20c, it will turn all the rads off, is this right?

q - what does the temp dial for the radiator on the boiler do? I noticed that the higher this is, the more hot the rads appear? and even the water?, although difficult to check in this weather!

I want to use this system to its most effective use, last quarter bill was £250! and I thought this is supposed to be more efficient.

I never notice the boiler going off, does this mean the hall way never gets to 20c?

Sorry for all the questions, all help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I am having issues trying to work out how my heating and water systems all works so that I can use it best.

Just moved into a property which has a new system installed. valiant eco tec plus boiler and a Unistor cylinder in the garage. There is a drayton timer in the garage and a honeywell therm stat in the hallway. Most of the rads also have TRV's. I have read all the sites in trying to work this out, and I am not a diyer, and there are no manuals, or any that help.

Hot water is fine, the cylinder has this set at approx 60c and on off is via timer switch
q1 - what does the water temp setting on the boiler do then? currently set to approx 9 o clock, builder said leave it like this - (asked him in case he knew!) shld I turn this all the way down?
It does nothing on the system boiler

Heating - on off via timer, I have turned trv's in rooms that i do not use to the frost position, others are about 3, or 4/5 if cold. I understand that the hall way therm will decide how hot the air is in the hall way and once it reaches that setting, eg 20c, it will turn all the rads off, is this right?
Correct, try knocking it down 1 deg to save a few pounds

q - what does the temp dial for the radiator on the boiler do? I noticed that the higher this is, the more hot the rads appear? and even the water?, although difficult to check in this weather!
Determines how hot the water will be leaving the boiler. Hotter rads etc.

I want to use this system to its most effective use, last quarter bill was £250! and I thought this is supposed to be more efficient.
Depends how long you have it on and how its used during the day. Heat losses through walls/roof/windows.

I never notice the boiler going off, does this mean the hall way never gets to 20c?
Potentially yes and a possibile reason why your gas use is high

Thanks

If your system is set up correctly then you should have a temperature difference on the flow and return pipes to your boiler of 20ºC, with a flow temperature of about 60ºC, this will keep your boiler in condensing mode for longer and lower your gas bills as a result.

Hi all,

It does nothing on the system boiler

Correct, try knocking it down 1 deg to save a few pounds

Determines how hot the water will be leaving the boiler. Hotter rads etc.

Depends how long you have it on and how its used during the day. Heat losses through walls/roof/windows.

Potentially yes and a possibile reason why your gas use is high

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me!
I know I need to get some cavity wall insulation, but as long as for now I am using it correctly it should be fine.

I think I will also turn the temp down on the heating dial on the bolier.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your system is set up correctly then you should have a temperature difference on the flow and return pipes to your boiler of 20ºC, with a flow temperature of about 60ºC, this will keep your boiler in condensing mode for longer and lower your gas bills as a result.

Thanks,

By this do you mean two silver boxes over the pipes I noticed in the garage by the Unistor?

They are both set to auto, instead of manual, assumming if I opened them I could set the temperature? But I guess I would not know which once does what??

The silver boxes are zone valves, they control whether the heated water from the boiler goes to your heating system, the Unistor, or both. They open and close automatically according to what your programmer is calling for. They do not control the temperature of the water as such (although the one linked to your Unistor will close when the stat tells it to)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back