Rads banging - house shaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'd be grateful if someone could advise.

Central heating system was off for a day due to an electrical problem but apart from that hothing has been done to the system. Now all is relit and re-powered and the radiators are hot, but there is a tremendous banging coming from them when they are up to full temperature.

This is not a bit of knocking from them and certainly not just the normal creaks from expanding pipework - the radiators sound like they're about to come crashing off the wall and wherever you stand you feel the banging through your feet.

This is not "bang, bang" - this is BANG, BANG.

Sponsored Links
Check that the pump is running first by holding a srewdriver to the pump and putting the other end to your ear, also check that the boiler turns off when you turn of the boiler thermostat. ;) ;)

Strange and horrible things have been happening, and I'm not sure if it's the CH or the HW systems.

Just been up to the loft which is full of steam (!) with a header tank looking like it's about to boil over (!!), so tried to turn the boiler off at the rotary switch (it's a Baxi Bermuda LFE). The burners failed to go out when I did this.

Help!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but I had a similar problem (banging) and I bled the radiators it seamed to work for a while but not a full fix. So I called out British gas, who told me that my system was sludged up and needed flushing! What I will say is that cause of this we needed a new pump too!
Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back