Rads cold on bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

My rads are cold on bottom and warm/hot on top.

13 rads in total 11 new 2 older ones, I put in Heating myself with Worcester LPG boiler 95k btu and have 3 port valve and pump. Stat's etc..
HW only is fine, CH only rads get really hot but not as hot as I think they should get. When HW& CH are on rads stay warm only.

I am pretty sure I do not have any sludge in system as I have flushed out old rads when I re installed them..

Thanks in advance for any help.[/b]

Sponsored Links
You need to get the burner pressure checked at the boiler to make sure it's running at full throttle, as it were. With mains gas you can measure consumption at a meter... DP will know!

When the CH & HW are on together is the boiler cycling on and off, (on its internal thermostat), or on continuously?

I assume you've checked the pump speed is at max, if it's adjustable. What boiler is it???????????

Have you sized the pipes correctly. from memory I think 15mm pipe will only serve 16000 BTU of heat requirement. With 13 good sized radiators plus HW part of the heating circuit will need to be in 22mm.

brumylad said:
Have you sized the pipes correctly. from memory I think 15mm pipe will only serve 16000 BTU of heat requirement. With 13 good sized radiators plus HW part of the heating circuit will need to be in 22mm.

I have run 22mm right up to 1 mtr or closer to each rad and then reduced to 15mm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
You need to get the burner pressure checked at the boiler to make sure it's running at full throttle, as it were. With mains gas you can measure consumption at a meter... DP will know!

I think you may have the answer here Thanks Chris...

When the CH & HW are on together is the boiler cycling on and off, (on its internal thermostat), or on continuously?

continuously?

I assume you've checked the pump speed is at max, if it's adjustable. What boiler is it???????????

I have set it at 2 if i set at 3 all stays cold..

Gentlemen

thanks for all your help on this subject..

The rads are now all piping hot!!

It turn out the burner pressure screw needed attention .!!

Cost me £20.00 not a bad deal I think..

Boiler was Worcester 19/24 cbi/lpg.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back