Rads not getting hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open vent CH and hot water system with hot water tank, using a wall mounted Vaillant boiler.
My question is: why do two/three of my upstairs bedroom rads only become lukewarm/stay cold when both the heating and water are on, and yet when the hot water is switched to off at the programmer, and the heating is switched to on these rads become hot.
Annoying when the upstairs is cold and have to keep on switching the water off to heat the upstairs rads.
Thank you. Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First make sure the valves on these radiators themselves are not causing the problem by fully opening both valves on each.

Then you may need to slightly restrict the flow of water from the boiler through the hot water cylinder with a new gate valve. At the moment the path through the cylinder is probably too easy so too much flow is likely being diverted away from the radiators.

The trick will be to close the new valve just enough to keep the upstairs radiators warm without choking the DHW circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back