Rads not heating unless TRVs on high level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators heat very little (almost stone cold) unless I turn the TRVs past setting 4.

Any ideas why this would be?

The TRVs are Drayton, it's a pressurised system in a town house with the same issue on all radiators.

Sponsored Links
About 1.3

If you're suggesting it's pressure related, I have had dropping pressure but thought I found the leak so hadn't considered this the problem now.

Sponsored Links
I haven't been particularly systematic about bleeding the rads but they have all been bled a few times (we're refurbing so have taken rads off walls when plastering etc). They were all bled a couple of weeks ago and the problem is still there but if that's a likely issue I'll give it a go again in case I wasn't thorough enough.

Regarding temperature, I have absolutely no idea. To get any response from any rad I need to have it at least 3.5/4 on the TRV, then the room gets pretty hot.

From responses it sounds like it's pressure related but I'm curious why it needs to be 3.5/4 before there's any heat generated.

As johnd says if the room temperature is above set point on thermostat the rad won't heat or will be Luke warm. If you turn it to 5 and rad gets nice and hot circulation is ok.

It may be they're getting to temperature then shutting off but my uneducated feeling was they're just not switching on - I'll give that a shot after bleeding the system fully again.

Do I start with any particular rad when bleeding? ie ground floor or top floor first?

time for you to save up and buy a thermometer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back