Rads taking an age to heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had an extension built and with it underfloor heating installed. This has been installed in its own zone and the existing rads have been zoned off too.

The problem is that since this has been done the rads are not as balanced as they used to be so I've been working on rebalancing just the rads (with UFH off) but the by-pass seems to be triggering even though every rad is fully open.

The actual return pipe from the rads is cold'ish but the other side of what looks like a bypass valve is hot. It seems the boiler is looping around the bypass value rather than pushing the heat to the rads.

I think the bypass value, which looks like a tap without a head, is a bypass valve but can't find any images on the net to convince me!

EDIT > Actually - it looks like a gate valve like item 63209 on www.screwfix.com.

Interestingly my boiler has an auto bypass so perhaps I can just take it out?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
was not asking for a pic of a l/s gatevalve

was more thinking of a pic of your manifold set up/ blending unit etc etc

glasgowgas - I don't have a problem with the UFH, it's the rads I'm trying to sort out so what would a pic of the manifold/blending unit do? That'll be a strike to me then right ;)

Seco - I've not seen one of these valves before but it looks like you just use a rad bleeding key or something similar to turn it off?

if you haven't got the key.

use a adjustable spanner on the outer brass anti tamper and remove then you can use you adjustable on the square part to open/close.

Cheers seco will give that a try. I guess there should be no problems leaving the valve closed right?. I didn't have one fitted before so I can only imagine the UFH fitter didn't know my boiler had an auto bypass.

Cheers Seco. The valve did start to drip quite a lot after taking off the anti-tamper but it settled again when I put it back on but closing the valve has done the trick - the rads heat up super fast now.

Cheers seco will give that a try. I guess there should be no problems leaving the valve closed right?. I didn't have one fitted before so I can only imagine the UFH fitter didn't know my boiler had an auto bypass.
I just had a heatline sargon fitted a couple of months ago, I didnt have one on the old system, the instuction manual says one is fitted to the boiler but recomends that you put one in, the one fron screwfix you just turn the blue or red plastic knob that has the guage stamped on it. if you had turned off all your rads using the thermostatic valves you want to make sure they are not sticking in the closed position like mine was doing. its the first time in 18 years that I oiled them. I use copper grease. now the valves control the rads very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back