Radweld - how much to use?

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
Since getting coolant warning light a few days ago, I'm adding about a litre of fluid to the radiator each morning to get it up to Max' level. So I bought some 250ml of Radweld which says 'Treats up to 17 litre'.

This website says the coolant volume is 5.2 litres. Do I chuck all 250ml of Radweld in, or try and judge about a third of the 250ml?

And if it fixes the problem, is that enough, or should I get a garage to also have a look?

Haven't had anything to do with leaky radiators since using some goat's cheese on a Morris Minor radiator in 1978 :D.

Make - Mini
Model - Cooper Clubman
Engine size/Type - 1600
Year - 2009
Mileage - average

Many thanks
Mary

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, just read some more, older, posts which say RadWeld messes up the water pump.

I drove about 150 miles today and no coolant warning light, so am thinking would rather keep topping up the coolant daily, then get car to garage when I get home, and not sue the RadWeld at all.

Each morning, the coolant level is down to the very bottom of the reservoir. But I can't see a noticeable leak.

Thoughts please folks.

Thanks

Mary

Mary, you need to ascertain where the leak is coming from before you chuck that stuff in.....I would use it, but only as an emergency measure.
Do you notice a smell around the car, after a run? Some describe it as a curry smell but its nowt like the tikka shaslic Im used to :rolleyes:
Popular spots on these is at the bottom of the radiator and from the water pump itself and can really be seen from underneath with the undertray off.
Whatever you do, dont let the coolant dry up or its bye bye cylinder head gasket :eek:
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. Will do some visual checks tomorrow, and keep topping up rad till home. (Yes, I know not to add cold water to hot engine).

Only curry smell was when when coollant warning light came on, then within a few mins turned to red. I stopped immediately and opened bonnet . . classic steam coming out. Half a litre of water got me to nearest garage for full top up.

Not seen warning light since, nor smelt curry. So as long as the warning light is accurate, I should be ok.

Sponsored Links
If you see steam coming out from under the bonnet then the source should be pretty obvious.
Maybe the engine is just boiling because of a faulty thermostat which is preventing the coolant from circulating around the engine. Id get this checked out....you can tell when the thermostat opens as it should - initially the radiator is cool, but when the stat opens the radiator surges with heat.

Aha, thank you, a picture is forming . . . . . when I turned the fan on in recent weeks got almost no heat through.
So I'm not going to use RadWeld, and will get to garage ASAP.
Many thanks John, you're a gem (y)

Hope you get it sorted, Mary!
As the coolant level falls, the heater is always the first to fail which can set the alarm bells off.

Hi John, thought you might like to know it was the plastic housing on the thermostat that had gone and was leaking when the engine was hot.
Thanks again for your help.
Mary :)

Sponsored Links
Back