Rafter hanger positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm building an animal enclosure and have reached the point of sorting the roof out. I'm now curious what the approach is with fixing the rafters.

I'm fitting the rafters using some hangers. My question is, the first rafter can't be flush with the side of the frame because of the hanger itself, of course. So what would builders/roofers normally do? Would they do what I'm going to do and just have the first rafter inset by the width of one side of the hanger, or would they do something like toe-nailing the first one in so it is flush?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thousands of roofs built without using hangars, just nail it.
I did wonder but I'm only using 63x38mm rafters and wondered if I'd have enough room to get the right amount of nails in. Also, I don't want to make a pig's ear of it.

Having said that, surely two ~2.5" nails from opposite sides, 1 top, 1 bottom would be enough actually?

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I'm building an animal enclosure and have reached the point of sorting the roof out. I'm now curious what the approach is with fixing the rafters.

I'm fitting the rafters using some hangers. My question is, the first rafter can't be flush with the side of the frame because of the hanger itself, of course. So what would builders/roofers normally do? Would they do what I'm going to do and just have the first rafter inset by the width of one side of the hanger, or would they do something like toe-nailing the first one in so it is flush?

Thanks
Always stand off rafters or joists 50mm from walls etc.

Always stand off rafters or joists 50mm from walls etc.
I did not know that. I've watched a few videos where they have flush rafters then stick some noggins into any other part of the frame -- not required then?
Internaly flanged hangers?
I like that idea jono. I did have a look earlier as I hadn't heard of those. I couldn't see anything for my size requirements specifically and, based on the comment from noseall about 50mm in from walls etc. anyway, I probably don't even need them now.

Is there a general consensus among pros when it comes to this -- hangers vs toe nail in?

I did not know that. I've watched a few videos where they have flush rafters then stick some noggins into any other part of the frame -- not required then?

I like that idea jono. I did have a look earlier as I hadn't heard of those. I couldn't see anything for my size requirements specifically and, based on the comment from noseall about 50mm in from walls etc. anyway, I probably don't even need them now.

Is there a general consensus among pros when it comes to this -- hangers vs toe nail in?
Are we talking truss rafters/joists? These always require a truss clip which needs to fit before striking the masonry. Also, any ladder sets built to overhang the gable, will factor this stand-off into the equation.

With a cut roof it's different as the joist sits along side the rafter in any case.

Sorry about the confusion (I should read the whole post!). :mrgreen:

Are we talking truss rafters/joists? These always require a truss clip which needs to fit before striking the masonry. Also, any ladder sets built to overhang the gable, will factor this stand-off into the equation.

With a cut roof it's different as the joist sits along side the rafter in any case.

Sorry about the confusion (I should read the whole post!). :mrgreen:
No apology needed noseall I appreciate all the help I can get!

Maybe I've not articulated my particular project well enough. Ultimately, it's a lean-to roof where I want my rafters to tie the front of my enclosure to a 2x4 long beam that's attached to multiple posts.

I'm just curious what *should* be done with rafters so I can learn the right way of doing things. I don't see how I could use hangers and still have flush rafters to the end of the enclosure (unless I use what Jono suggested)...?

Any ideas and help is appreciated as there'll be more complex projects coming!

I did wonder but I'm only using 63x38mm rafters and wondered if I'd have enough room to get the right amount of nails in. Also, I don't want to make a pig's ear of it.

Having said that, surely two ~2.5" nails from opposite sides, 1 top, 1 bottom would be enough actually?
38mm truss clips can be quite handy. Look these up and their application and see if it fits your billing. (y)

Right so I've just been reading a bit more and for end rafters, some article has stated to just use an angle connector (pasted below).

I'm not using bird mouths to be fair but butting up against the wall plate.

Truss clips for all but the end end rafters, angle bracket and a couple of toe nails?

Strength wise that'd be absolutely fine surely, but I still want to do it *right*

Screenshot_20230630_073647_Chrome.jpg

Then your brackets will suffice.
Thank you... And is this with the same truss clips inset from the side or should I be aiming to have the end rafters flush? If flush then angle brackets and toe nailing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back