Rafter hanger positioning

It won't be a worry with whatever brackets you use.

There are lots of roofs that are just connected with nails, no clips.

Weight of the roof covering has an impact, but yours will be light, so no concern.

Sponsored Links
Can't he strap it down.
Am I right in thinking this is only a consideration for the end rafters if using corner brackets?

All but the end ones are going to be installed using what's shown in the screenshot...

Edit: and using 30x3.75 twist nails

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701_213945_Toolstation.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701_213945_Toolstation.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Personally I think you are possibly worrying unnecessarily, what you've shown is joist hanger.
With regard to your original photo, with an angle bracket on one side, if you are worried about the fact it doesn't have and fixing on the front side, why not use this type of thing... there is also a nail on version.
tooth plate

These are the nails I've used before
Sheradised twist

Buy some 5"galv nails and drill straight through the rafter making a pilot hole for the nail.

Job's done, thanks everyone for input.

I ended up using a couple of heavy duty corner brackets for the end rafters with some twist nails plus a nail from the other side, along with the hangers I posted previously (also sheradised nails) for all but the end rafters.

It would've been a lot easier to have a nail gun and just nail the rafters straight in (assuming 3 or 4 nails would suffice. I think the hangers are a bit overkill and my non-expert opinion agrees with a previous post that nails alone would do the job fine?

Here's the (almost)end product -- thanks again for the help and advice.

20230709_180839.jpg

Last edited:
What animal is that for ?!?
Haha, yeah I thought after I've seen smaller at the zoo.

We have a couple of house cats, one of which is a Maine Coon (if you Google 'Maine coon adult size' you may be surprised!)

The idea is to give them somewhere to run around, have things to do (next phase of the build), and basically not have them in a stuffy house all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back