Raidiator pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering replacing the bathroom radiators for towel rails. My problem is they are fitted using 10mm plastic pipe (new build house) and the towel rails are 50mm wider than the originals. I was hoping there was some free play to make the difference but seems there isn't any! The plastic piping has what looks like a speedfit sleeve at the valves which I assume is to easily remove the valve from the plastic pipe similar to the water pipe (MDPE) fittings?
Can I buy an extension kit for the plastic pipe or an extension adaptor for the valve?
Also, once the TRV is capped-off can I leave it that way while the heating system is still working?
Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Capped off trv can be left with system working.
MDPE is for underground mains water, not heating

unless your towel rails are massive, you will notice a difference in your
bathroom heating

they are designed to heat towels, not radiate and convect heat into a room

at least 2 jobs a week removing towel rails to replace with rads ;)

Sponsored Links
unless your towel rails are massive, you will notice a difference in your
bathroom heating

they are designed to heat towels, not radiate and convect heat into a room

at least 2 jobs a week removing towel rails to replace with rads ;)

Thanks glasgowgas!

With this being a new build the bathrooms are matchbox size with a 400mm single radiator installed, I checked the BTU output of the small radiator and it was only slightly more than the 450mm towel rail. I guess the towel rail is more than twice the height! Bellway built the house - very warm but their decorating skills are cowboy! Looks like Stevie Wonder painted the walls!
The other half want's a towel rail so I'll install one for now and leave the other for a later date.
Can anyone answer the question about the pipe connections please?

Can anyone answer the question about the pipe connections please?
If you insist ;)

I have yet to see short lengths of 10mm pipe (they usually come in coils), so I think your best bet will be to cut the existing tails close to ground level and use a speedfit 15-10mm reducer to "enlarge" the gauge and use either 15 mm plastic or copper from this point up to the radiator valves. Whatever you're using, don't forget the pipe inserts for the plastic pipe.

With reference to the valves - if you intend to use them again, it may be possilbe if they are 15mm with a reducer within them already which can be discarded, or if the current speedfit fitting being a 15-10 reducer anyway. If you're replacing them, then get 15mm valves.

Thanks for the info! I went to B&Q today and it seems your spot-on about the pipe; only comes in large rolls, so i'll take your advice and use a reducer to increase to 15mm.
Took some photo's of the installation. Looks like a dogs dinner to me! am I right?
My problem now is that the towel rail has two button fixings at the bottom which means I'm going to have to cut out the plasterboard to get behind. any ideas?

P7221377.jpg

P7221376.jpg
[/img]

Took some photo's of the installation. Looks like a dogs dinner to me! am I right?
I've seen better and worse than this
My problem now is that the towel rail has two button fixings at the bottom which means I'm going to have to cut out the plasterboard to get behind. any ideas?

Not sure what you mean unless you're taking about the pieces that fit to the wall then the radiator fits to :confused:

If you're worried about making sure you drill into the studwork behind, then although the fitting pieces have a degree of felxibility with regard to how far apart you set them, there is an alternative, which is to get a nice piece of ply (which you could use a router to get a nice edge to) which you could fit to the studs (which can be found by opening up some of the plasterboard as you're going to be covering it with the ply anyway). You could paint this ply the same colour as the walls and use the opportunity to do something more attractive where the supply pipes for the radiators come throught he wall.

Thanks again!

Just one more thing; As I'll be using speedfit connectors (2x reducers) which will be behind the plasterboard. Is this acceptable and safe?

Thanks again!

Just one more thing; As I'll be using speedfit connectors (2x reducers) which will be behind the plasterboard. Is this acceptable and safe?

Joints should be accessible and so, sadly, it will be more advisable to have them outside the plaster.

Undoubtedly the two pipes currently there will be joining the feed and return pipes somewhere under the floor, which does contradict what I've just written unless these joints are accessible by lifting a floorboard, which is different to embedding joints behind plaster. It's up to you whether you want to gamble it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but if I advised you to do it anyway, I'd be slated by my comrades on here ;) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back