Try cutting Olives from Plastic Pipes or just reuse the valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace a towel rail that is connected to plastic piping, where the pipes only protrude a short distance from a tiled wall.

My first thoughts are that it's a bad idea to change the valves, because if I were to damage the plastic when removing the olives there is no leeway to cut off the pipe and start again.

So my current plan is to keep the existing valves and swap the old tails into the new towel rail.

Do you have any thoughts or advice on this please? Am I just being over cautious?

Robin

Sponsored Links
How old are the existing valves? I doubt you’d damage the olives removing the valves, so you could change them utilising the existing nut and olive.

Sponsored Links
As long as the valves work properly and close down fully with no leaks then no reason not to re-use. As suggested just take the tails out of the old rad and fit to the new rad.

I'd re-use as well if you can, just sounds like a lot of work otherwise for no real gain and plenty of scope for going badly wrong!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back