rain! dripping above top of window frame, broken render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

can you say if this is good/sensible :)

been raining a few days now - and three drips , fast dripping, coming in above top of a window frame for last 30 mins....

I went outside and looked at the window, and others on same side of the house - like the rest of the windows, (its an externally rendered wall, on solid brick surface) - EXCEPT there is on the left hand side, top, of window a can of coke size broken bit of render.

- window is flush with external wall if that matters

Guessing i should:

1 - pull th ebroken bit off
2 - i have a bag from other work, or ready made mortar - guessing i can use this, and apply to the area

well that's it - i know no more! should i not do above, its meant to rain tomorrow and next day - mix something into the ready made mortar, use something else, make a cup of tea and phone someone else..... and help much appreciated...probably a simple thing to you guys...

Sponsored Links
Don't use the ready made mortar. Mix up some yourself using plastering sand and portland cement. 4 of sand, to 1 of cement. You wont need much, so measure it out with a small container. Add some waterproofer/plasticiser to the water before you add it to the mix. Give the damaged area a clean off with a wet brush and coat it out half way one day and then scratch it. Bring it out flush another day with 5 to 1, again, using w/proofer/plasticiser in the mix........Having the windows flush with the wall surface is not good.....It might be a good idea to phone for help if you're unsure.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back