Rain into the soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can give me a bit of advice here.

A plumber has just fitted a new soil stack for me which finishes below the gutter level and is open at the top.

I've just fitted a new bathroom and the configuration of the pipework means that I could really do with removing the rain water downpipe.

As I'm going to fit new guttering I would really like to feed the gutter into the top of the soil pipe. These gutters do not service the whole roof, just a small outrigger with an apex roof that is my kitchen and bathroom.

Would I breach any regulations by doing this?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I know people do it but in theory the rainwater should go to a soakaway 3.5m away from the building. If the drain can't cope with a heavy rainwater you might find the toilet flush away very slowly. The top of the soil pipe is really for ventilation and should have a mesh to prevent leaves or birds fallen down it.

Sponsored Links
Reg, you should enquire with the local authority to ascertain if you have a single pipe combined system or a dual pipe system? It varies so much around the Country and from estate to estate that it is difficult to say what you will have.

Also, your soil & vent pipe should not terminate below the gutter - it should extend above. The foul air will be drawn into your loft space and apart from causing foul smells the air is extremely moist and may increase the likelihood of condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back