Rain (slightly) weeping through roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was doing a few bits in the loft last weekend and noticed the felt has perished in a few places (house built in 1977), with a few holes/rips in the felt. There are also a couple of vent holes that someone has previously cut in the felt.
Yesterday, it rained hard all day, with a strong wind from NW blowing straight in to the back of the house and roof. In the afternoon, I went up in to the loft to check all was dry. Through the holes in the felt I could see a little bit of dampness weeping through (see pic). As far as I could see the loft was dry (no drips). Historically I've noticed some condensation during winter in one corner around a poorly insulated stack flue, which I hopefully resolved last weekend, but that's about it.

Is it normal for rain to weep through tiles a little, as shown?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 20200925_140755.jpg
    20200925_140755.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Yes thats why you also have felt.

Cheers... Better repair the rips and holes (not vents though)... hhhmmm... How to fix gritty perishing felt from the underside?!? Could be one to pull your hair out on..

The only way to do it is to slide your repair piece in from above (at one of the overlaps). If the hole is in the top run you're a bit stuck....

Sponsored Links
The only way to do it is to slide your repair piece in from above (at one of the overlaps). If the hole is in the top run you're a bit stuck....

Would flashbanding be any good for the job with the felt surface primed before hand?

You can try but you're fighting gravity...if you're patching from below you need a perfect seal. Might be better with Acrypol or similar as the adhesive, flashband needs a fair bit of pressure (and a hot air gun helps) to bond properly

You can try but you're fighting gravity...if you're patching from below you need a perfect seal. Might be better with Acrypol or similar as the adhesive, flashband needs a fair bit of pressure (and a hot air gun helps) to bond properly

You mean use acrypol as an adhesive to stick a patch of new felt in place from the underside and then paint over acrypol to finish off? or perhaps use the acrypol mesh instead of felt?

I was thinking your first scheme (use acrypol to glue felt on). It might even be easier to glue a patch of dpm on, big problem is getting enough pressure on the patch to give a good bond

I was thinking your first scheme (use acrypol to glue felt on). It might even be easier to glue a patch of dpm on, big problem is getting enough pressure on the patch to give a good bond

Good idea... As you say though, getting it to bond will be the trick.. But if I can get it to stick enough, then when dry acrypol over the top paying special attention to the seams it might be ok. After all, it not got to hold back a tide, just the odd drip if that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back