Rain water for HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently use rainwater for toilet flushing with no problem. The supply is a 1000 lt tank fed from the roof downpipe via a filtered funnel and there is no evidence of solids in the cistern or tank. Now I am shortly to add an extension to my bungalow and as plumbing will be involved I am considering using rainwater for all hot water. The general idea is to pump the rainwater to the HW storage tank with a back pressure controlled pump,via a further fine filter, and to top up the tank if necessary with mains water fed into the fill funnel. Thus there is no possibility of backfeed to the mains as there is no piped connection. Can anyone out there foresee any problems? TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice. Idea now abandoned, I'll stick to rainwater for toilets and washing machine.

Just a follow up on this. I accept your advice but how is it illegal to use rain water for other than drinking. Many houses local to me have no mains water and the spring water is just fed thro' a fine filter. I also recall when I was young in the 50's the roof of our toilet and coal house was a rainwater tank and this water was piped to the kitchen sink. We had three taps, hot, cold and soft. and the soft water was used for washing up and all clothes washing. and my Dad lived to 94!! It may be inadvisable but surely it is only illegal if there is a risk of contaminating the mains water.

Have a look at the water regulations as they have changed since the 50s however with all the coal fires back then I am sure rain water is cleaner now :eek:

Pete

Many houses local to me have no mains water and the spring water is just fed thro' a fine filter.

Spring water usually comes from the ground via a route of soil and rock formations. Picking up minerals and becoming more alkaline as well as filtering out nasties. Its not straight from the sky. Pure rain water is usually acidic and I would expect not good for the skin.

It is not just bugs either.
I have a rainwater cistern and when the prevailing wind is from northern europe can smell metallic and sulphurous.
Organic metal compounds from coal power stations and steel plants are another possible nasty.
Filtering will not remove pathogens.

Ozone deals with most of it but would not consider it for drinking without expensive monitoring although may be alright for bathing.

PS my tropical fish seem to be happy with it.

Thanks to all for an enlightening discussion. I will stick to rainwater for the toilets only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back