Rain Water in Cavity Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I laid a few courses of bricks on my concrete footing a few days ago, but this morning there was a heavy rain and as a result, the trench was filled with about an inch of rain water in the lowest part of the trench. I was a very worried to see that the rain water had managed to get into the cavity (although top of cavity wall was covered), probably sipped through mortar joints.

I wonder, if the mortar joints are meant to be watertight, or I did something wrong there, but there are no obvious cracks in the brickwork - I used mortar mixture of 1:3 (cement: building sand) for below DPC level.

Do you think the brickwork or mortar joints may be damaged by the rain water sipping through the walls into the cavity?

I am planning to fill the cavity with concrete in the next few days, should the concrete be very wet or relatively dry mixed?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
The odd joint may of had a hole in it, which has let water in, nothing to worry about.
The cavity fill concrete... nothing special required there. For ease of shoveling just a weak-mix not too wet or dry, bit like the little bears porridge :D
Fill cavity up to ground level.

As above no problem. Cement-based mortar and concrete like wet conditions while curing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for the advice. It is relief to know that my brickwork has not been damaged by the rain water. I will take a closer look at the mortar joints for holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back