Rainwater diverter to water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am thinking of fitting a rainwater diverter from my downpipe to feed a water butt. THe downpipe from the hopper is cast iron. Is it a tricky job as I have never cut through cast iron before, but is says it is a DIY job. Thanks for reading my post :)

Sponsored Links
You'll need a hacksaw

and 4 Shredded Wheat for breakfast.

I have the kit now and am going to do it this afternoon hopefully :) Would it be a lot easier to cut the cast iron downpipe with an angle grinder as my neighbour has one that I could borrow :) Thanks for your help :D

Sponsored Links
Cast iron cuts really well with an angle grinder. Use a thin metal cutting disk (not a grinding one) and wear proper goggles, not just specs. Let the grinder do the work, don't force it and you'll be fine.

thanks for your tips :) In the end I used a good quality hacksaw with new blade for use on metals. How long to remove the amall section of pipe? An hour all together!! Slow or not bad? :oops:

If youv'e saved money then well done, give you a not bad as you didn't use good advice given, you used the wrong blade in your hacksaw :D

Hello all, I am thinking of fitting a rainwater diverter from my downpipe to feed a water butt. THe downpipe from the hopper is cast iron. Is it a tricky job as I have never cut through cast iron before, but is says it is a DIY job. Thanks for reading my post :)

How did you get on in the end? Did you manage to connect your water butt to the cast iron drainpipe?

I'm planning to do the same... have bought the butt and a standard diverter kit just want to know what to expect before I start!

Why not put downpipe directly into butt?

Then over flow into drain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back