Raisable bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I am going to live in a super tiny room (2m by 2.6m) and would like to have a double bed in it. For this I have made up an interesting solution:
I want to have a bed that I can raise up to the ceiling and bring down.

When I don't use it it should be up to the ceiling, when I use it it should be about 1.5 meter above the ground (so I can have a desk etc underneath) resting on wooden posts.

My plan was to attach four metal rails to the wall and the bed which would allow it to move up and down.

I have one little problem though: How can I move it up and down as easily as possible?

Pushing it up with my hands would be quite heavy (double mattress + a wooden bed weighs a bit) and I might not even reach high enough. So far the only thing that popped up in my mind is to put some kind of rope and pulley construction above the bed but I could imagine that would look a bit ugly.

Does anyone have an idea of how I could pull/push my bed up and down? Any other tips on the construction of such a project? I am planning to buy a ready made bed and only construct the support post and rails myself.

Sponsored Links
What's above the bedroom? If it's a loft space then you might be able to hide the counterweights up there.

What's above the bedroom? If it's a loft space then you might be able to hide the counterweights up there.

That is actually quite a cool idea!
I could have just one rope going trough the ceiling and one rope going down the ceiling, with none of the pulleys being visible! I doubt it will be a practical solution seeing our plans to use the attic as a nice space to hang out but I will definitely have a look if it seems possible next time I visit my new room!

And also, I did not think of using counterweights yet, I just thought of pulling it up with my power only... But of course if I add some weight to the end of the ropes I would disable the need of extra pulleys for leverage..

Hey guys,

I am going to live in a super tiny room (2m by 2.6m) and would like to have a double bed in it. For this I have made up an interesting solution:
I want to have a bed that I can raise up to the ceiling and bring down.

When I don't use it it should be up to the ceiling, when I use it it should be about 1.5 meter above the ground (so I can have a desk etc underneath) resting on wooden posts.

My plan was to attach four metal rails to the wall and the bed which would allow it to move up and down.

I have one little problem though: How can I move it up and down as easily as possible?

Pushing it up with my hands would be quite heavy (double mattress + a wooden bed weighs a bit) and I might not even reach high enough. So far the only thing that popped up in my mind is to put some kind of rope and pulley construction above the bed but I could imagine that would look a bit ugly.

Does anyone have an idea of how I could pull/push my bed up and down? Any other tips on the construction of such a project? I am planning to buy a ready made bed and only construct the support post and rails myself.
Does not make sense , why would you need a desk 1.5 mtr's high.?
Something like this would be a better solution
http://www.studybed.co.uk/products/small-double-studybed/

Sponsored Links
Hi Foxhole,

The 1.5m was just an estimate but I think it was quite a good one. A standing desk plus computer screen possibly a (book)shelf on top, I could store a lot of stuff underneath a 1.5 m high bed but I could not work underneath it. However I might choose to lower it even more if I figure out I want more space above the bed in its sleeping position.

Thank you for the link, that seems like something that could be practical solution except that such beds go into thousands in their prices. Of course making one myself would be an option too but that would still cost some and by lifting up a normal bed I can get something that is basically for free (except for the support and the lifting system)

You would need to make sure the roof structures could support the weight of the bed and counter weights, is this a rented property?

Seems like a lot of hassle, surely there must be a more logical solution. If you really need a double bed in there, about one that's hinged and raises up against one wall, the desk can have the same arrangement on the other wall. Where you put the chair and contents of the desk I have no idea.

Do you really need the double, will there be 2 people using it all the time, or just the occasional "use" that could be on the sofa ;) ? maybe consider a 3/4 bed instead of a double? or a bigger room!

Yes. Since I start to think that counterweights could be a good plan I will also need to deal with that weight, I really hope I can find a safe anchor.

It is rented property and no I don't need a double bed. If I stumble upon a 3/4 together with a mattress for free I will consider that one too, but so far I mostly find free doubles.

I don't know about the Netherlands but am pretty sure the changes you are talking about would be very much not allowed by your landlord!

Hi Foxhole,

The 1.5m was just an estimate but I think it was quite a good one. A standing desk plus computer screen possibly a (book)shelf on top, I could store a lot of stuff underneath a 1.5 m high bed but I could not work underneath it. However I might choose to lower it even more if I figure out I want more space above the bed in its sleeping position.

Thank you for the link, that seems like something that could be practical solution except that such beds go into thousands in their prices. Of course making one myself would be an option too but that would still cost some and by lifting up a normal bed I can get something that is basically for free (except for the support and the lifting system)
No point messing around lowering it when you could leave it fixed above head height and simply work below it hassle free.Joint it thru the centre on hinges so half the bed folds to ceiling leaving no obstruction and complete use of space below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back