Expanding nut for metal frame bed

8 Jul 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I recently bought a metal frame bed, but once I put the mattress on top, is now far too high. So I want to lower the slat frame down the legs. The slat frame screws into two threaded holes on each leg (the bed is essentially white metal hollow tubing) so I'm going to use the bottom most hole as the top, and drill a new bottom hole. My question is, are there any type of expanding nut or anchor that I can feed through the new hole that will open up inside the tube, securely keeping the slat frame tight against the new hole? I would like it to be removable should I want to take the bed apart. I have seen that using a tap and die set would thread the new hole, but was wondering if there would be something easier. Also thinking of Jack nuts but am unsure if these would be suitable.
Sponsored Links
Can you access the inside of the tube, perhaps by taking the bottom (foot?) off?
If not, I think you've found the two most likely solutions.

(You might get used to a higher bed!)
It's called a nutsert or a rivnut. And they're brilliant. You need a special tool with the correctly sized mandrels to fit them.

Sponsored Links
I'd live with it a few weeks, just needs getting used too, and will make getting in and out easier in your grey years.
A less elegant solution would be to drill right through the leg tube and use a long bolt with a decorative head (or fastened with a decorative nut) which could be painted white.
If you can create a square'ish hole (file a normally drilled one) then you could use a cage nut (like are used in rack units for audio equipment or computer rooms)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links