Raise concrete floor by 1cm and insulate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a room which has a very cold concrete floor. The floor is in good condition and there is no damp. I intend to carpet the floor and use a good quality underlay.

Because the adjacent room is tiled I need (or can) raise the by about 1cm.
I am planning to add a bit more insulation to the floor too if I can.

I was planning on laying a layer of 2mm cork matting with a 9mm mdf board on top and just nailing it all down with concrete nails.

Can anyone please advise weather this is a good or bad way to raise the floor or whether there is a way which will provide more insulation?

Any tips and advice or alternative ideas welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would think your best bet would be a 10 mm insulating underlay prior to the carpet...pinenot :)

bunny-slippers.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply’s.

Pinenot, I do intend to use a 10mm underlay over the boards and cork before the carpet is laid.

Freddymercurystwin - lol

If someone with a bit more DIY savvy than me could give my plan the OK I would be happy.

Also I have seen under tile insulation boards. However I have read that they will not hold up to direct impacts ect and may crumble over time.

If anyone can suggest some alternative materials to use that would offer the same durability but more insulation then that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back