laying ceramic tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be tiling over a wooden floor using ceramic tiles. I am using 9mm ply to cover the timber floor in my hall.However there is a small corridor with adjacent utility room that both have concrete floors which will also be tiled.The concrete floor is approx 1cm lower than the timber floor what is the best way to level this area .Also is the threshold where the timber and concrete meet going to be prone to cracking?

Any advise would be appreciated. :?:

Sponsored Links
Self leveling floor compound, have a read on the instruction for what thickness it can go to, some of them can go up to 25mm!
Also is the threshold where the timber and concrete meet going to be prone to cracking?
This is why you have to use flexible floor adhesive.

Use Bal fastflex adhesive - expensive stuff though. You can slope it down gradually by building it up with adhesive at point where levels change. . or you could make an expansion joint along the edge of the ply - you should fill this joint with silicon. If boards are nice and stiff , I'd go with the 1st suggestion

Thanks for your imput.
Do I use the flexible adhesive just when tiling over where the ply and concrete floors meet ? Please clarify the use of a silicon expansion joint, do'nt quite understand how this works.

Sponsored Links
Brian

Do I use the flexible adhesive just when tiling over where the ply and concrete floors meet ? Please clarify the use of a silicon expansion joint, do'nt quite understand how this works.
Thanks
Use the flexible on all the wood areas that you are tiling. Silcone not heard of that one.

you probably won't need an expansion joint at all - but if you wanted to put one in, it would be along the joint wher concrete meets ply.
you can more than likely just not bother and tile over this joint using the fastfex and grout over whole floor using flexi grout. On the rest of concrete floor you don't need fastflex. Just a regular cement based ceramic tile adhesive.

Thanks for advise.
Still need clarification of silicon expansion joint. There is very slight movement in the last board where it meets the concrete.Can not remove board as it runs beneath skirting board - big job to remove. :LOL:

If you have movement, you need to fix it secure OR you will get a cracked tile.

Start with a full tile either side of joint where concret meets ply - this will become your expansion joint. Grout entire floor (except for this joint) with flexi grout. Fill this with grey silicon sealant. If you use flexi grout just on timber side and regular on other ther is usually a slight shade difference. Also, screw down any loose boards to joists(careful not to go thru any pipes). The background you are tiling to should be stiff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back