Raised bed - left over decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've got a left over timber from my recent decking project and I want to use it for a raised bed. I have the area cleared which is situated next to the wall of my garage and I want it to be about 3 decking boards high - so about 12 inches or so.

I was thinking that in order to get it straight and for stability I will need to cement in 4 timber posts in each corner and then attach the boards to that. Has anyone any experience of doing this or can give me any advice on whether I need to cement in the posts and anything I should be aware of?

Much appreciated as always ;)

Sponsored Links
Depending on the size of the bed, you will likely need a bit more support than just screwing the ends of the boards to vertical posts. Have you thought about constructing planters instead? You could use scrap wood or more decking to make a frame with the deck cladding on the outside.

Thanks for the reply Richu,

I had thought about a planter and effectively that's what I want to create. I should've been more clear but it's the decking foundation timber that I have left over, so something similar to this:

product845-l1.jpg

I would've thought that a structure like this attached to 4 deeply cemented timber posts should be stable....what do you think?

Sponsored Links
I don't think I'd bother with cemented posts if it was me. In fact, I have a similar project to do soon, and I like the design in the picture you posted, but mine will be just resting on the ground, maybe with a base in the box too. Either way, once the soil is in, it won't be going far.

construct the box and once the soil is int it, it will go nowhere. If you are really worried then just hammer in some pegs at the corners.

i have just built similar,
with some joists,
i hammered a lenght of dexion angle iron stuff [3ft long], into the ground in each corner [inside the raised bed] and then put in a few 2" screws through into the joists ..its as solid as can be.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back