Raised bed using OSB sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

Just after some advice and opinions please if I may. I‘m wanting to create a raised bed in the front garden which will mainly contain decorative stones with artificial tree’s & plants in.

What I’m thinking is but I’m unsure if it’s suitable to do is to concrete in 8 fence posts in a line only about 600mm high from ground level and then use OSB fixed to the front of the fence posts with a view to then tiling on the face of the OSB with some porcelain wall tiles but my question is can I use OSB in this manner or would it potentially rot?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• E19CF277-4398-4E43-B384-AF73365829D4.jpeg
    E19CF277-4398-4E43-B384-AF73365829D4.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
It's no weaker than your OSB, I daresay some additional framing behind might be necessary to avoid any bulges occurring whatever material you use, depends on the height, post centres and how much stone they're retaining etc, a flexible adhesive might be sensible too.

Sponsored Links
It's no weaker than your OSB, I daresay some additional framing behind might be necessary to avoid any bulges occurring whatever material you use, depends on the height, post centres and how much stone they're retaining etc, a flexible adhesive might be sensible too.
It’s going to be probably 500mm high x 8m long with posts every 500mm apart which will be fully filled with 20mm decorative stones.

If it were me I'd be adding 3 x 100x50 treated timbers between the posts, one at the bottom, one at the top and one in the middle for good measure. It would truly tick me off for ever if the thing bulged in and out under the weight of the stones.

All on the understanding that seeing as it's timber it won't last for ever.

If it were me I'd be adding 3 x 100x50 treated timbers between the posts, one at the bottom, one at the top and one in the middle for good measure. It would truly tick me off for ever if the thing bulged in and out under the weight of the stones.

All on the understanding that seeing as it's timber it won't last for ever.
I’m a bit nervous now, knowing my luck as soon as I fill with stones it just all implode

Secondhand scaffold board make strong raised beds. You can clad with cement board to tile . Line inside with polythene to extend board life .

OSB will just start to swell once it gets wet and eventually fall apart, I should think the tiles will fall off. Treated timber would last a longer time. Half a meter is quite high for a raised bed.

To reduce the pressure on the front panel you could use gabion cages, such as this,

to hold the lower layers of stones and then just put a couple of layers on top to hide the cages.
This could also save having to buy lots of decorative stones as the cages can be filled with all manner of rubble that you won't see.
For the front face, why not build a blockwork wall that you can then tile over?

OSB will just start to swell once it gets wet and eventually fall apart, I should think the tiles will fall off. Treated timber would last a longer time. Half a meter is quite high for a raised bed.
I was looking today at treated timber and I‘m thinking I may go with that idea for strength and cement board the front to tile on. I’ve re-measured it and it’s 400mm high. The reason for this is because I have an existing raised bed made out of sleepers so I kind of want to try keep it all the same height

To reduce the pressure on the front panel you could use gabion cages, such as this,

to hold the lower layers of stones and then just put a couple of layers on top to hide the cages.
This could also save having to buy lots of decorative stones as the cages can be filled with all manner of rubble that you won't see.
For the front face, why not build a blockwork wall that you can then tile over?
I thought about building a block retainer wall and priced it up to compare but if I’m totally honest I can’t face digging out a trench for the footings etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back