Raised beds against wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I want to build some raised beds at the end of my garden, however I want to be absolutely sure that I don't cause damage to the neighbours wall from wet soil.
Half of the wall is concrete block. I presume some damp proof membrane will be enough to stop water ingressing through the wall in to the neighbours garden?
Is DPM food safe?

How do I protect the other half of the neighbours wall that is a wooden fence? Will DPM suffice?

Thanks in advance

CF

Sponsored Links
Don't eat the DPM.

Maybe post some photos so people can see what you're talking about...

Haha
What I meant by the DPM being food safe is that it will be lining the soil, which will be growing my food!
Its an overgrown jungle at the moment, so pictures won't show anything.
I might have to chop it all down first to get a clear photo, but then I wanted to throw all of the organic matter straight in to the raised bed!

In a nutshell...
If I'm building a raised bed against a neighbours concrete wall, what precautions do I need to take?
If I'm building a raised bed against a neighbours wooden fence, what precautions do I need to take?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't want soil piled up against my wall, potentially breaching the wall's DPC.
...and damp soil is the perfect way to cause a wooden fence to rot out.
It's hard to know without pictures, but my suggestion for both sections would be to build a loose dry stone or brick wall at the back, then a vertical barrier of pond liner, then soil in front of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back