raised bed around garden perimeter with soil against fence what can i use as protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i am building a raised bed approx 430mm high around the perimeter of my garden from concrete blocks, the front wall and side walls will all be concrete blocks, but the rear is up against my fencing/neighbours fencing. i imagine having wet soil up against a fence will cause it to rot and addded weight would break it. I have attached a image i found on google of what i basically have (not my actual garden).

Due to the space constraints (and money aswell tbh) i wont be able to put any blocks for the rear wall to support the wall/act as a barrier).

what cheap effective options do i have?

ctkMXgC

Sponsored Links
Blocks at the rear are the only real option here, for continuity and strength. You could maybe bolt scaffold boards to the rear of the U-shaped bed you'll have to keep the soil off the fence, but depending on their treatment depends on how long these last. I know of ones I put in ten years ago which are still there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Your photo isn't showing so not quite sure what you mean but what about a length of this sat in front of the fence posts:

if you can find a supplier near you.
yes i was thiking of something like this. not easy to find though

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Blocks at the rear are the only real option here, for continuity and strength. You could maybe bolt scaffold boards to the rear of the U-shaped bed you'll have to keep the soil off the fence, but depending on their treatment depends on how long these last. I know of ones I put in ten years ago which are still there now.
what sort of treatment would i need to apply.

It is extremely bad practice to heap earth against a wooden fence.

As you say, it will quickly rot and be broken.

Your neighbour will have every right to be extremely annoyed and demand compensation for the damage you cause.

Think again.

A fence is not a retaining wall.

If it is your own fence you can take it down and rebuild with a dwarf wall, or with concrete posts and concrete gravel boards.

It is extremely bad practice to heap earth against a wooden fence.

As you say, it will quickly rot and be broken.

Your neighbour will have every right to be extremely annoyed and demand compensation for the damage you cause.

Think again.

A fence is not a retaining wall.

If it is your own fence you can take it down and rebuild with a dwarf wall, or with concrete posts and concrete gravel boards.

I understand its not good practice and has implications, i have already expressed i am not looking to use the fence as a retaining wall. im looking for helpful solutions not someone to repeat my concerns i have already raised.

Sorry for the hijack, for info Freddie, the portion of your link after the question mark is superfluous and related to tracking information from the website - possibly leading back to you.
The link below should work just as well :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154400992162
Thanks, perhaps you can go through my last 20,000 posts and check there's no tracking info I've inadvertently left in those too? :rolleyes::LOL:

Cement board may do it?
Screwed into embedded composite battens?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back