Building a fence above a retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
P_20210430_131529_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20210430_131554_vHDR_Auto.jpg
I'm building a wooden fence above a (to be created) retaining wall around the bottom perimeter of the garden.
I want the wall to be 6ft high (hit and miss fence pailings).

On the inside of the fence in the garden there will be about 1 metre of backfill. I'm not sure which is best... 10 feet post within the retaining wall itself, sunk 1 foot in existing soil then another 3 foot from the newly retained backfill (on the inside) only 1 foot on the other side. So there will be 4ft of support on the inside of the fence.

Retaining wall - foundations - 10cm of crushed stone then 20cm of concrete (high or deep) and 40cm wide for the foundation. The wall itself will be breeze blocks - 2 rows - 2 x 100mm blocks.

The 10ft wooden Posts (10cm x 10cm) will be spaced out 1.8m . There would obviously be support from the sides - from being inside the 3foot wall and concreted around and more lateral support from concrete at the base.
- would this suffice?
or should i put the fence posts on the inside of the wall?

Or could I build the wall 1 foot higher and have a 5 foot fence and use fence post brackets and insert the wooden fence posts on top of the wall?
thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back