New fence but gardens staggered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

My neighbour and I need a new fence. The gardens are staggered in height so there's a 3 foot mud bank essentially.

Building a brick retaining wall isn't a cost effective option, the gardens are stable so we don't really need any retaining wall as such.

Is it bad practise to just build feather edge fence up against the mud. Also to achieve a 6 foot fence on the high side it would be 9 foot on the low side, seams stupid and would need 12 foot posts?? Any suggestions for this?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Guys,

My neighbour and I need a new fence. The gardens are staggered in height so there's a 3 foot mud bank essentially.

Building a brick retaining wall isn't a cost effective option, the gardens are stable so we don't really need any retaining wall as such.

Is it bad practise to just build feather edge fence up against the mud. Also to achieve a 6 foot fence on the high side it would be 9 foot on the low side, seams stupid and would need 12 foot posts?? Any suggestions for this?

Cheers!
You need concrete posts with 3no 1ft concrete gravel boards at bottom. Waste of time doing in timber itll rot in no time

10,0 posts will get you to about 4.5ft above high side. If you really want to go higher add trellis and short timber posts to extend height.

You need concrete posts with 3no 1ft concrete gravel boards at bottom. Waste of time doing in timber itll rot in no time

10,0 posts will get you to about 4.5ft above high side. If you really want to go higher add trellis and short timber posts to extend height.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really not a fan of concrete posts as I don't like the slide in panels.

I'm thinking of getting some tombstone slabs set upright in cement and run the feather edge as normal along the lawn line.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I'm really not a fan of concrete posts as I don't like the slide in panels.

I'm thinking of getting some tombstone slabs set upright in cement and run the feather edge as normal along the lawn line.

You don't slide them in when installing. Posts, gravel boards and panels are by far the most readily-available and effective method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back