Levelling rear garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rear garden slopes up from the back of my patio all the way to the back of my garden. I want to raise the level by the patio to level it all out, which I will build a retaining wall 2.5ft high for.

What I am wondering is what I need to do at the sides, as the wooden feather edge board fences at the sides of my neighbours gardens will then be retaining some earth, so I am guessing I will need to put some kind of support in to make sure that the fence doesnt collapse.

Any ideas? A picture of one of the fences is attached.

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert in fencing, but I would imagine you would have to use concrete gravel boards maybe?

The fence will rot in time with soil against it.

Have you thought about drainage too, you wont want your neighbours coming around saying their back garden is flooded!

Do you mean re-work the fence so the gravel boards are at the bottom?

What I was thinking was to possibly concrete in some concrete slabs (such as these http://tinyurl.com/674hzqc) so that they are holding the earth back, rather than the fence to avoid having to rework the whole fence on both sides.

As for drainage, could I have gravel 'channels' at each edge and 3 or 4 through the middle to try and give an easier path for water through the garden to some drainage pipes through my retaining wall?

Basically I am trying to cost up the whole project at the mo and see how much hassle it is to do it myself, as I know I wont be able to afford to get a landscaper in to do the work for me.[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back