Raised beds against a garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All. Long time lurker, but finally decided to sign up as am on a bit of a diy spree at the moment!

I'm looking to build some raised beds in my back garden but have some queries about a wall that I'd like to use as the back of the bed. I have a semi-detached house, built on slope, and my neighbours house is built 18" higher than mine. We have a small wall that butts up against the dividing line between the houses and extends about 4m from the exterior wall. I've attached a pic. The bottom 18" or so seem to be a different type of brick. Thought this could be a damp proof course, although not sure why it would be on a wall like this. Just wondering if anyone could see any reason why I couldn't build my beds with 3 sides of sleepers and soil up against the brick at the back. The top of my beds would be at least 6" lower than the top of the darker bricks, so if it was a DPC then I'd be comfortably below it. My neighbour has levelled and laid patio on his side so the only thing on the other side of those bricks is earth or hardcore.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_9033.JPG
    IMG_9033.JPG
    590.9 KB · Views: 465
Sponsored Links
Looking at the mortar bed between the 2 different colours of brick, is that a piece of dpm that is showing?

If it is then I would say you can safely build your bed so long as you stay below that top course of darker bricks.

Sponsored Links
I think it’s just a couple of bits of mortar that have come loose. On closer inspection I can see the visible DPC on my house walls are the same bricks. Darker with a sort of smooth ‘glossy’ surface. I guess maybe they built the wall that way to stop water seeping through to my side from my neighbours higher garden. Glad to hear it doesn’t sound like an issue to put my beds against it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back