Raised beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get into & experiment with the lost art of 'raised bed' gardening. I say it's a lost art because how they did it in medeival times bears no relation to todays 'ornamental' flower beds.

In medeival times they'd bury fresh animal dung a certain distance below the seed bed, & as it naturally rotted the heat it gave off extended the growing season.

Like I say, it is a lost art . . . .

Sponsored Links
I want to get into & experiment with the lost art of 'raised bed' gardening. I say it's a lost art because how they did it in medeival times bears no relation to todays 'ornamental' flower beds.

In medeival times they'd bury fresh animal dung a certain distance below the seed bed, & as it naturally rotted the heat it gave off extended the growing season.

Like I say, it is a lost art . . . .
You're posting on the wrong thread .
It happens when you switch accounts...
How many times do I have to tell you - stop asking questions until you start answering them. Blimey, you really are as thick as mince. You don’t seem to grasp the meaning of the word 'reciprocal' do you? Oops, sorry, that’s another question. Please ignore it like you do all others. ;)
You are asking a straight answer from himmy?!?!?
You should know by now that he only answers questions with other questions.
Come on mottie!

You're posting on the wrong thread .
It happens when you switch accounts...
I would never have thought that a subject such as 'raised bed gardening' would do anything other than go "WHOOSH" straight over your head.

Thank you for confirming to the internets that is exactly how it is.

I would never have thought that a subject such as 'raised bed gardening' would do anything other than go "WHOOSH" straight over your head.

Thank you for confirming to the internets that is exactly how it is.
I'm sorry if I don't speak himmish...

Sponsored Links
"Your post in the thread Tomato paperwork was moved to Tomato paperwork. Reason: Wrong section.

Rest assured, your mods are on the ball.

Are you talking about a compost layer underneath the top soil to create an organic mulch which sustains the plants: How large are you proposing to make the beds?

Are you talking about a compost layer underneath the top soil to create an organic mulch which sustains the plants: How large are you proposing to make the beds?
They used to bury a layer of fresh manure at a certain depth, when the manure rots it creates heat, which gives the seed & young plant an earlier or later start in the season. They didn't have greenhouses, this method was used to extend the season earlier & later for the kitchen garden, the main crops were left to the seasons.

A growing technique that is mostly forgotten now !

They used to bury a layer of fresh manure at a certain depth, when the manure rots it creates heat, which gives the seed & young plant an earlier or later start in the season. They didn't have greenhouses, this method was used to extend the season earlier & later for the kitchen garden, the main crops were left to the seasons.

A growing technique that is mostly forgotten now !
Peter Reynolds may have something on the subject.
His Experiment in Iron Age Agriculture at Butser Farm was full of old ideas given a reboot to see how effective they were.

Peter Reynolds may have something on the subject.
His Experiment in Iron Age Agriculture at Butser Farm was full of old ideas given a reboot to see how effective they were.
I'll put that on my late night reading list thx.

First wild camp of The Rogue's Vagabonds & Ne'er Do Well'rs is to happen soon & one the Rogue's wants to bake bread like they did when the Roman legions were marching . . . . I guess it's kinder than eating baked Hedgehog :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back