Raised edges on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Carrying on with the renovation of our cottage, we've had floorboards up to replace/run pipes and cable as well as fit insulation.

Some of the old floorboards were knackered anyway and split as we lifted them so I have replaced with the same thickness boards where required.

The cottage is an old period property and such isn't exactly straight or level however there are probably 4/5 boards across the two rooms we have done that have a slightly raised edge/lip above the adjoining board. Not by huge amounts, but enough so you can't drag your foot across it for example with catching the raised edge. The issue is only on one edge of the boards and they are in different locations across the rooms.

We will be fitting underlay and carpet anyway so not too bothered about looks but what would be the best way to reduce the raised edges? Plane, sand? Something else?
I'm sure the carpet will cover the worst of it but if I can make them better whilst I can then that would be for the best.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
If they are cupped a belt sander would be my choice, a plane will be bound to hit a nail and damage the blade.
Overboarding with hardboard is a good idea too it will smooth out the floor even more and stop draughts passing through the carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back