Raised manhole cover in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the bottom of my garden I have a manhole cover that is raised by approx 200mm. The actual footprint is approx 1200x1000.

This is a bit of a nuisance as we would like to use this area of the garden as a chill out area but the raise cover is somewhat in the way and very unsightly!

I'm happy to lower the cover to ground level but is there any particular reason why it is raised i.e. would I be more prone to overflows if it is lowered??

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
The drains went in when the site was first developed and either the lazy developer hasn't sorted the finished ground levels out as he should have done; or the ground has settled slightly over time.

If it's a private drain, do what you want with it. If, however, it's a shared drain and belongs to the local water company, you'll have to leave it alone. And in which case, I would suggest that you import some soil to make up the levels (which is probably the easiest thing to do, regardless).

Cool! The drains are owned by a private management company run by the residents (26 in total) of which I am the treasurer so will hopefully be able to swing it!!

I was planning to re-use the cover and frame (old fashion iron type and very heavy!). What type of cement/sand mix would you suggest?

Thanks for the advice.

Dan

Sponsored Links
The actual footprint is approx 1200x1000.

are you saying that the chamber is rather large and that it is topped off with a 'biscuit' that has a 450 x 600mm cut out, capped off with a metal cover and frame?

if so, then this particular type of i.c. may be a little more difficult to lower.

Sounds like it Nose. Raise ground levels may well be the most practical solution for thissun...

Hi Nose,

Not quite sure! I'll have to have a closer look i.e. lift the cover.

I think the chamber is standard size, not much bigger than the cover, but the brickwork supporting the cover is raised and the surrounding concrete has been finished at an angle creating the 1200x1000 footprint. My thoughts are that I can knock out a course of bricks or two and reset the frame at ground level but I'll have a look in the next day or so and get back to you.

Cheers for the mix advice shy.

Dan

if there are a number of brick courses on top of the biscuit then any of these can be removed and the lid put back.

once you are down to the biscuit - forget going any lower. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back