Raised patio project. Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am starting work on my new patio this month. I just need to clear a few issues up and get some clarity.

I have searched but cannot seem to find info on the exact task I am doing.

I have laid 3 or 4 patios but never one which has been raised before.

So the patio needs to be raised by approx 3/4 bricks. I am going to need to dig footings around the three other sides of the patio, then have a small wall constructed which will bring the patio to the level I need (allowing for the fall)

Does this wall need to be double brick or can it just be single? This will allow me to install the correct footings.

Once the wall has gone off I will be removing the earth from within and filling with the correct depth of subBase and compacting it ready for the mortor and flags to be laid.

Here is a picture of the type of patio I am looking to install, although I think i will be going an extra brick in height:

72_54after-1.jpg

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The best thing although fractionally more work would be to use a brick outer skin and then a small 25mm cavity and a block inner wall. Stick a few ties in for good measure. This will keep the bricks clean and dry, otherwise the bricks will remain saturated and be constantly leaching out efflorescence etc. Other then than your plan sounds good.

I think that you'll be needing red or blue engineering bricks, and only one skin is required. Built loads of these over 20 years and never had an issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies guys.

I have started to excavate the area and will get footing in next week. I am going to go for a single blue brick wall which will be tgree bricks high.

Can you confirm this will be adequate?

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back