Raising a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read on other posts that to bring a concrete floor up to the height of another floor (suspended wood in our case) you can either lay 100mm celotex then 50mm or so of concrete; or lay joists across the concrete floor and flooring on top.

In our case, we have pipework running from a washing machine and dryer etc which currently just runs along the top of the concrete floor (its a utility area off the kitchen)and we want to reposition these at the same time we raise the floor so prefer the second (joist) option as we can then pipe between joists under the floor.

I'm looking for some guidance on the best way to go about this to do the job right. Is this an acceptable method? How do I secure the joists to the concrete? Do I need to lay them on a DPM? Can I still insulate with celotex (or similar) between the joists. Do I need to ensure ventilation in the underfloor space? Does anybody have any suggestions for how to do this and what to use (eg insulation granules instead of celotex)?

Sponsored Links
(Bump)........ can anybody please help me with this?

How do I secure the joists to the concrete?
  • You don't. Form a frame or use hangers
Do I need to lay them on a DPM?
  • You need a DPM. Whether the joists are on it or not depends on the design
Can I still insulate with celotex (or similar) between the joists.
  • Yes
Do I need to ensure ventilation in the underfloor space?
  • Not if full of insulation

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back