Raising a sandstone garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here. Hello all!

I live in a Victorian end of terrace, the garden down the side has a small retaining wall of three courses of 9" sandstone blocks, the bottom of which are mainly below ground level and adjoin the public pavement. The wall is about 15 metres long.

I've just put up a fence and it's become apparent that while the first half of the wall is nicely level, the second ~7.5 metres drops gradually so that it's 6 inches lower at the far end leaving me with a gaping hole under my perfectly level fence. :rolleyes:

As the fence is one of those with curved panel tops I'd prefer not to step the fence so I am thinking of raising the wall. As I can't really get the lowest blocks out without messing up the pavement I would need to raise the wall by 6" with 2 courses of mortar. Being a complete novice at this kind of thing I am wondering if I can do it this way:

1) Mix some red sand in with the mortar to try to get a decent match to the blocks.
2) Build a slope of mortar from 0 to 2.5" over the 7.5 metres that need raising. Let this set
3) Mortar the first course of blocks on top of this making a 3" rise in total and repeat for the second course.

Is this bonkers? :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back