Garden Fence/Wall building costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Bristol and have a long garden double brick wall 3 ft high bordering the street. Over the year’s shrubs and tree growth close to the wall has caused some vertical and horizontal cracks mostly by tree trunks pressing the wall. I wanted to raise the wall to at least 6 feet using fencing or brick or block depending on the costs, but I also needed advice if the wall is stable enough to support raising

Could someone please give me an idea of the costs?

Of a closeboard wooden fence supported by posts bolted to the inside wall with the fence advanced to the front of the wall (to prevent people sitting on it). How much would it cost for such a fence 3 foot high on top the wall and 16m long.

I am worried that strong winds and the cracks in the wall may cause it to fall if a fence is built on top, so another option maybe not to put the weight of the fence on the wall would it be better to support the fence by strong wooden posts set into the ground and in concrete at the back of the wall at regular intervals (if they can avoid the tree stumps). What would be the cost of this?

I was thinking it would be nice to raise the wall in places using more bricks, but to build on top of a wall already cracked maybe daft so I was wondering how much it would cost to first demolish the wall then rebuild a wall to 6 foot high and 8 meters long using double bricks; and another costing to alternatively build with single concrete blocks which should be cheaper.

I’ve not been too happy when I look at other walls built with concrete blocks, they can look a bit untidy, are there different types of concrete block to add a little character to a wall.

I have so many choices running around in my head it’s difficult to know where to turn, even to find local builders who seem very busy at the moment. If any builder in Bristol, close to BS13 would be interested please say.

Sponsored Links
From your description the wall doesn`t read as if it is suitable for either raising in brick or supporting a fence structure.
The question is too complex to give exact costing. I would suggest to try harder for local guys to price after seeing it on site. You can also try fencing contractors as a fence would be cheaper in theory than brick built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back