Raising Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this webpage on how to identify raising damp.
Am i right in thinking
The Blue line is when the samples have come out of the oven, and
red line is when they have came out of the desiccator?
I cant see how this experiment would distinguish between a historic rising damp issue which has been solved and one which is still active.
is the experiment just showing salt contamination?

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why dont you give yourself a break - whats with all this mithering with the technical instruments and techniques of Remedial work?
Why not try to stay simple, and forget about attempting to measure this and that - as before, remedial instruments are only as good as the experience of the person using them.

paul161201, good evening.

On the web page it has as a first line

"Most damp problems can be diagnosed with a good pair of eyes and some experience."

Having been now and for some 17 years been constantly employed as an Insurance Surveyor [with countless years prior to that in the Construction industry] and during that time been subjected to countless gurus who have with smoking images and mirrors managed to in many ways mystify an all too common problem.

I defer to the above quotation, experience? experience? Experience!!!

It is my opinion that a load of opportunists simply jump on to the Bandwagon? and go all Technical.

Either you have rising damp or you do not???

The real deal is what to you do about the potential problem you may or may not have??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back