raising floor height with tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I ask a question that's already been answered loads of times. I am about to tile a kitchen floor that has new cabinets. The current floor is linoleum over chipboard and I am going to be putting cermamic tiles down. What do I do about the tiles raising the height of the appliances, cabinets etc...??? The fridge/freezer sits under the counter tops as does the washer and there is a tiled backsplash along the counter top. Can I remove the chipboard before putting the proper underlying floor down for the tiles? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you should remove the cabinets, you could leave the chipboard & put ply on that, but better removing chipboard (height reasons).

thanks for your help. I was afraid I'd have to remove the cabinets but was hoping for an easier solution. Seems like a lot of work just to replace a floor. UGH!

coach said:
I was afraid I'd have to remove the cabinets but was hoping for an easier solution.
Well you can by cutting the flooring to the plinth line and support with noggins as and where it need it then put down the plywood.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. I see what you're saying but we're still left with the problem of not having enough of a gap for the fridge/freezer. Guess there's not much we can do about that other than get a new fridge. Thanks for all the advice.

I could be getting this all wrong but we are in a similar position. Dont you just tile up to the cabinet legs behind the plinth. This way you dont have to remove any cabinets or appliances? I presume then the plinth will have to be cut down to fit? and when put back will make it look like the floor covers the full floor.

dizzy said:
I could be getting this all wrong but we are in a similar position. Dont you just tile up to the cabinet legs behind the plinth. This way you dont have to remove any cabinets or appliances? I presume then the plinth will have to be cut down to fit? and when put back will make it look like the floor covers the full floor.

The problem then is that the appliances are at the original level & you may not be able to get them out.
What I did 20 years ago.
The cabinets were all fixed in a U 8ft x 15 ft x 3ft.
I used a car jack & jacked the cabinetts a bit at at a time & placed packing under. It took many jacking points but I raised all the cabinets by about an inch, I usd plywood on the whole floor & slid the tiles into place let them set then drop the cabinetts. It took quite a few days but it was my time & I did not distrub the cabinetts. I used flexible connectors for the water supply & had to re do the waste.
I hope this is of some help.

What I think we've decided to do is take out the cabinets, remove the chipboard that is under the lino and replace it with plywood then put aquapanel or some kind of equivalent over the plywood. What we'll probably have to do is remove the tiles on the backsplash so that we can raise the countertops. So much work for a stupid floor and I hate the B&Q cabinets that are in the kitchen but they are new as the previous owner had fitted them in, too bad he laid the lino so poorly because we wouldn't even bother with the floor otherwise. Hopefully by removing the chipboard and replacing it with plywood it will give us a little extra height to play with but I have a feeling the coutertops will still need to be raised as there is not much of a gap to work with between the washer and countertop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back