Raising floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to raise the floor in an upstairs bedroom by 22mm. What's the best way?
I can only think of two ways. 1.lay new sheets of chipboard on top of the existing floor or 2.lift the existing floor (most of it is loose after altering some heating pipes and electrics) and add timber on top of the joists.
What's your thoughts?
Thanks for your help.
David

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to raise the floor?
The bedroom is an extension and the floor ended up 22mm lower than the corridor leading to it. At the time it wasn't really an issue as it was being carpeted and a door was at the join. Now I've removed the door and plan to run laminate through.

Sponsored Links
so by raising the bedroom floor by 22mm you will end up at the exact same level as the surface of the "corridor"?

aamoi: i dont know what your finished proposal is but you cant just raise a landing finished surface - because there's a ratio of treads, and risers, and the top riser has to remain the same height as the lower risers.

the strange building practice where a floor in a new build extn "ended up 22mm lower than the corridor leading to it" is not usual.

so by raising the bedroom floor by 22mm you will end up at the exact same level as the surface of the "corridor"?

aamoi: i dont know what your finished proposal is but you cant just raise a landing finished surface - because there's a ratio of treads, and risers, and the top riser has to remain the same height as the lower risers.

the strange building practice where a floor in a new build extn "ended up 22mm lower than the corridor leading to it" is not usual.
I want to raise the bedroom floor to the same height as the landing/corridor so I can run laminate throughout.
I can only think of two ways. 1.new chipboard throughout or 2. Add timber to the joists under the existing flooring.
I was just wondering if the second option is acceptable?

maybe i'm not being clear - do you intend to lay sheets of chipboard or ply on the landing as a board underlayment for the laminate or are you simply going to lay the laminate on the existing landing boards, whatever they are?

..... or 2. Add timber to the joists under the existing flooring.
I was just wondering if the second option is acceptable?
It's acceptable - but it's a heck of a lot more work. The only issue that adding an extra 22mm of material to an existing floor is that accessing services will be a tad more work. TBH that shouldn't really be much of an issue

I have to agree with others, though, that the bedroom FFL should have ended up the same as the landing - a bit of an oversight!

It's acceptable - but it's a heck of a lot more work. The only issue that adding an extra 22mm of material to an existing floor is that accessing services will be a tad more work. TBH that shouldn't really be much of an issue

I have to agree with others, though, that the bedroom FFL should have ended up the same as the landing - a bit of an oversight!
The builders made a mistake by working to the top of the joists in the original house forgetting to include the height of the floorboards. As a door was at the join and a slight ramp was laid carpet hid it. Now I want to lay laminate without the door in place.
I've got most of the new floor up anyway so putting extra height on top of the joists would be easy enough and a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back