Raise Bedroom Floor by 20cm / 9inches

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a bedroom which you have to step down into (by one step) as you enter it.

It has a standard wooden joist floor with floorboards.

As this is the only room on the first floor that is one step lower than the rest of the rooms and hall, I would like to raise its floor level. The required raise in height is about 20cm / 9inches.

To do this I am considering teh following process:
- leaving the existing floorboards in place
- laying 20cm / 9inch high battons on-top of and along the whole length of the of the location of the existing joists.
- put in some 'noggin' style battons between the above battons to stop them toppling
- (basically this looks like a stud wall laid on the floor to raise the floor height, with the height of the battons + new floor measured such that the new floor is level with the floor in the hall and other bedrooms).
- All battons attached to the old joists and each other using screws or nails.
- Then put 18mm Chipboard or Ply on top of the battons to create the new floor surface (attached with nails).

So my questions are:
1) Is this the best way to raise the floor hight in a by 20cm / 9inches.
2) Should I be concerned about the extra weight of all this wood on the original joists?
3) Should I be concerned about the unventilated enclosed space that this is creating (I was going to full this with insulation)?

With thanks for you help, SFK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back