Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are beginning a garage conversion and need to achieve a U-Value of 0.22 with the floor.
The suggestion to achieve this is 100mm Celotex insulation.

The existing floor to ceiling is 248cm but at the front of the garage its slightly lower at 237cm.

I believe building the 100mm Celotex floor would require the following:
- raising the floor by around 20cm to allow for timber frame floor

This would then make the lowest point of ceiling height around 217cm, possibly even 210cm.

Is this accept from a building regs point of view? Whats the minimum room height I can go to? Personally I don't mind.

Another point is that raising the floor by 20cm would need a step of around 14cm between the main house and the garage conversion.
I understand this could be a trip hazard which we could label clearly but is this okay from a building regs point of view?

I really don't want to dig up the existing concrete floor of the garage as there is a gas meter in there and don't want to disturb the pipes there.

Help much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could just put the pir directly on the concrete floor over a dpm and place t&g boards on top

Total height will be about 120mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back