Garage conversion floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!, i really need some advice. I am converting my integral garage into a kitchen extension. The existing kitchen floor is a concrete base and the current garage floor needs raising to this level. My buiding regs officer says i need to insulate the new floor with kingspan, but i am really unsure of how to tackle it because the garage floor slopes down towards the up and over door. I was originally thinking of using leveling compound but then i thought of using timber joists and packing it up at one end, but the probem being the joist would only be about 30mm leaving about 18mm for a floor board...this would obviously bow when walked on. Has anyone got any advice of what i could do to get a smmoth transition between the existing floor and new floor.

Sponsored Links
how much does your floor slope by and how much have you got at the highest point to your floor level that you want to achieve?

hi, I am aiming to make a long kitchen by utilising the existing kitchen and the integral garage, my garage floor is higher than most. At the kitchen end the garage floor is about 45mm lower and at the other end, by the up and over door, it is about 100mm. My builidng officer says i need to feather fill the kingspan as deep as i can go, but we are thinking that it will be a nightmare creating timber battens 5 meters long and trying to make them to the same gradient as the garage floor (and they would be really thin and probably bow). I asked the officer if we could put a bit of leveling compound down first, and he said yes, but at the deep end we have to have at least 50mm of kingspan. We would ideally like to just concrete the floor over the kingspan but we don't have the depth. We just don't know how to tackle this - it is crucial that the floor level matches the kitchen exactly. Does this make sense!

Try your local roofing centre for tapered insulation. You will probably be able to get very close to the falls you need and then make up any difference with latex.

Sponsored Links
Hammer up the garage floor and do it standard spec' i.e. stone, blinding, membrane, insulation, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back