Garage Conversion Floor advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I’m after some advice. We have decided to convert our single, integrated garage into a play room for my 3 year old. While I will use a builder to do some of the work, I am confident in my abilities to do the bulk of the work.

I’m having a builder block up the existing garage door and add a window, leaving the wall insulated and ready for plaster, but will be doing the ceiling, floor and other walls myself.

I would like some advice on the floor. My garage is 2.5x5m and I’ve got a drop of 165mm to play with and my initial thoughts are:

DPM Sheeting
40mm Screed / levelling compound
100mm Celetex board
18mm Chipboard
0.5mm Underfloor heating
6mm Laminate flooring

Or if I need to leave a ventilation gap under the floor, as above without the Screed and using joist hangers instead.
DPM Sheeting
Joist hangers with 100mm Celetex.

Is this the correct configuration and do I need to consider anything else? Also If I go down the joist route, what would be the proper way of installing them across the span of the garage?

Thanks
Rory

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back